Friday, January 4, 2008

Works In Progress Eeeeking about Steeking

I am getting dangerously close to completing my two steeked sweaters. I love knitting in the round, but both my brother and Sparky want cardigans. My brother specifically asked for a blue one without much design. He said he wanted to look like Mr. Rogers, not Ginger Rogers. I was quick to point out that even if he were to put on a tutu, no one would mistake him for either person. The wheelchair is a dead giveaway that he isn't much of a dancer and the wild eyes and hair from his pain meds since he has been in the hospital makes him look like he took one too many trips to the Neighborhood of Make-Believe.
Sparky didn't have a say in his cardigan. I started to make it as a Christmas present, but things came up and I didn't get it done in time. It was also supposed to be a surprise, but I knitted it in front of him while he was running TV. He is oblivious to everything when ESPN or Cops is on TV.

His sweater is made from Galway in a fair isle pattern combination of my own design. The individual motifs came from a book called Traditional Scandinavian Knitting but I think that the color combination looks more like southwestern. I am anxious to get it done and I've decided that if Sparky won't wear it then I will.

I also finished some dyeing projects. The colors on the photo are not as vivid as they are in real life. The orange sock yarn is different hues of sunkist orange ranging from Orange Crush to lemon. I think the yarn will make some excellent sock to wear on particularly gray days. The blue sock yarn is in shades from navy to royal blue. I have been toying with the idea of putting the two yarns together to make some felted clogs but I can't remember if the blue yarn was made with commercial super wash roving or some of my wool stash. I guess I will have to wash some and see if it felts.




Finally, I started some socks right before Christmas using some of my home spun and dyed superwash. I am very pleased that the socks are knitting up with stripes. That was just sheer luck. I don't know who will be the recipient. They are too girly to give to the Code Man and he probably wouldn't wear them anyway. He is a white tube sock sort of kid. The Code Man is my 21 year old son. He cannot stand to have the seam of a sock across his toes. I used to wonder if he would wear sock that I make, but I have come to the conclusion that I would have to make him nothing but white or gray plain vanilla socks. That would bore me to death and I would get second sock syndrome with the first pair. Maybe I will give them to Meglet. She can always use socks.


Tomorrow is Friday, so I am off to Spin City to meet up with my friends for a day of knitting, spinning and eating pizza. I am so proud of my self for posting on my blog two days (ok two and a half days since I didn't start this until after midnight) in a row. The doggles are telling me that they are tired so we better hit the sack. If they looked any more pitiful they would make me cry.

No comments: